Monday, June 28, 2010

Mama Kwans-Part of our Big Three
















Mama Kwans-Kill Devil Hills-The Bypass-Milepost 9.5










Mama Kwans quickly became part of our regular routine on the Outer Banks....we eat here several times during each vacation, and I bring clients here as I do Awful Arthurs while on my annual fishing trips. My only mild complaint about Mama Kwans is a lack of draft beer, but that is the ONLY one...........Another place that seems to be a hangout for locals and tourists alike, it has a very lively tiki bar atmosphere, along with a very attentive service staff. This seems to be a place where you can great food, and leave feeling very good about yourself, as most of it has a healthy origin. The food is fresh local seafood, with an asian spin in many cases, and it is unbelievable. We have never had a bad meal in this place, but for us there are a few highlights to this incredible place:










For appetizers, you cannot beat their fresh salsa and home made chips or the Thai money bags.......For the main event, we bring people here for the most incredible fish tacos we have ever eaten. Despite my love of fresh fish and of tacos, I WAS a guy who believed that fish tacos would not be something I would eat.....so it was with great reluctance that we tried Mama Kwans at the behest again of our niece and nephew. For me, despite trying and liking several other entrees off of others plates, I cannot come here and not order the blackened fish tacos..........They are incredible........fresh blackened mahi mahi on a plate with shredded cabbage, jasmine rice, cheddar cheese, and green onions..........you truly have to try this to believe how good it is....the mahi is so fresh it melts in your mouth..........Now that Mamas showed me how good fish tacos can be, I have tried them in other places, but nobody comes close in my opinion. In addition to this dish, my wife loves the Pad Thai at Mamas.....It is fresh, tasty and has just the right amount of heat.........my daughter Ali loves the Garbage Plate which is a large plate of assorted marinated vegetables, jasmine rice and in her case, a piece of seared Ahi Tuna...........it is a winner as well! My other daughter Kris favors the pork plate.......if the fish tacos were not so good, I could readily eat any of these other entrees, but personally I cannot miss a single chance to get a taste of the fish tacos....This is a five star stop in our books.

No comments:

Post a Comment